Also worth noting words of caution…
RULES FOR FLOWER-EATERS:
- Don’t eat flowers if you have a history of allergies, asthma, or hay fever.
- Eat only flowers you know to be safe; some kinds are toxic; proper identification is essential.
- Eat only organically-grown, pesticide-free, edible flowers.
- Don’t eat flowers from nurseries, florists, or garden centers; they often use systemic pesticides.
- Don’t eat flowers picked from heavily traveled roadsides; brake-pad dust, vehicle emissions poison soil.
- Eat only the petals, removing pistils & stamens (except those of tiny flowers such as: lilac, basil, rosemary, thyme)
- Taste flowers before you use them in a recipe, as they can vary according to variety & cultural conditions.
- Quickly, gently but vigorously rinse flowers in a bowl of cold water before tasting; there may be creatures hiding in them.
Master Gardener Volunteer
University of Maryland Extension